Knitwear and Cashmere sweaters usually experience a resurgence in popularity during the fall and winter. Wearing Knitwear and Cashmere is a little high maintenance, but the luxurious warmth and softness make this one of the winter essential! Not to forget, we have to take care of it while wearing, storing and cleaning. It is better to say purchase of Cashmere and knitwear is a 'wardrobe investment'. Good thing is cashmere is available in all price ranges; from high end brands to affordable and local woolen products! and it is warmer than any other fabrics for winter.
Thus as we reach for our winter woollies, it'
d be a good idea to run over a few rules of how to care for our much loved Knitwear and Cashmere sweaters and cardigans which will retain it's shape as well. Both wool and cashmere sweaters can be taken care of same way. When caring for knitted ware, it is important to take into account the delicate structure of the knits and to comply with some specific rules that will help.
Care while you WEAR Knitwear and cashmere sweaters/cardigans :
- Wait for your deodorant to dry before putting on your sweater. This will help keep the deodorant from building up on the inside of the sweater.
- Do not wear perfume. It may stain your sweater and attract moths.
- Do not wear the same sweater more than once in a 4/5 day period.
- Try to keep your sweater away from rough items, purses, jewelry, etc. These items can cause pilling, a snag, or even a hole!
Care while you WASH Knitwear and cashmere sweaters/cardigans :
- Don't let the dry cleaners ruin your fine cashmere! Prefer to hand wash the knitwears in baby shampoo/mild shampoo to preserve color and shape . Hand washing a cashmere sweater will actually make it softer over time.
- To minimize creasing and static electricity, we can add a fabric softener to the water.
- Wash you cashmere in cold water. NEVER use hot water, it will cause your sweaters to shrink.
- The method to was knitwear is : Fill the tub with cold water, add some shampoo and soak the sweater in it. Very gently squish the sweater and slowly squeeze the soap. Empty the tub and wash it in clean water until all the shampoo is out. Never wring or twist wring your sweater, just squeeze it gently. Roll the sweater between cotton towels and squeeze the extra water. Dry the sweater on a towel on a flat surface (large counter top or a flat table) Make sure to lay it out in a correct form, it retains the shape it is dried in.
- Do not hold up a wet piece of cashmere by the shoulders, this will stretch your sweater. Keep your sweater in a lump when you go to pick it up when wet, fully supported by your hands.
- Do not dry in direct heat or strong sunlight. Press using cool iron (wool setting) or damp cloth. General Care. Fold knitwear with tissue and store flat in a drawer
Care while you Store Knitwear and cashmere sweaters/cardigans :
- Clean your sweaters before you store them. Moths are attracted to natural fibers, especially when they are dirty or stained.
- When you store your pieces, fold them around a piece of tissue paper to help prevent wrinkles.
- Do not store your sweaters in plastic. Muslin bags are good for storing cashmere.
- Do not hang your sweaters. Just fold it and place in flat surface of your closet.
- Use a fabric shaver to gently remove the pillage (tiny fuzz balls that surface after few uses, usually at the side where your arms rub your ribcage) from the sweater. Never put pressure on the fabric shaver, just glide it gently or you will shave a hole into your sweater.
- Treat stains IMMEDIATELY with cold water and a stain remover.